Posting a Single Load
Posting the loads that you have available is the single best way to let available carriers know who you are and how to contact you. Avoid “cold-calling” carriers that may or may not have the bandwidth to haul your freight if you can avoid that. By posting your load, carriers will call you instead, saving you time and money.
Tip: When posting your load, the more details you provide (e.g. commodity, rate, etc), the more efficient your contact with carriers will be. You will spend less time on the phone answering questions that could be answered here.
The details entered on this posting will be visible to all DAT customers. The form consists of several fields, some required (*) and some optional.
- Post Loads
- New Load Posting - This form will allow you to provide the important details that a carrier will need to find this freight in the database.
- Pickup*: The date or date range that the load is available. A specific time frame can be entered here as well (e.g. 8a – 10a). To select a date range, hold your “Shift” button down on your keyboard and select the range on the calendar.
- Origin*: The city, state that the load is picking up in.
- Destination*: The specific city that the load is going to. An easy method for entering cities is to type in the ZIP code and then selecting the desired city from the dropdown menu.
- Dock Hours: The timeframe that the load is available to drop off.
- EquipmentType*: The type of trailer that you need to haul your load.
- Full or Partial*: This indicates whether it’s a full or partial load.
- Length*: The minimum length of trailer that is needed for your load, in feet (ft).
- Weight*: The weight of the load being posted, in pounds. Entering a ‘k’ after a number will multiply that number by 1000. (4k = 4000lbs). Weights in DAT Power are in pounds, not in thousands of pounds. If you enter a value of less than 1000, you will be asked if you meant to use thousands of pounds. Because weights are now in pounds, the minimum weight is 1 lb and the maximum is now 999,999 lbs.
- Offer Rate: Type in your rate and select Per Mile or Flat rate. Many carriers prefer to see the rate displayed in the details of the posting. Posting your rate can help eliminate unwanted phone calls from carriers and can cut down on the time you spend on the phone with the ones that are interested.
- Contact Method*: Indicate the contact method that will be visible to other customers
- Ref ID #: A number or code used to uniquely identify a load. This number cannot be the same as any other reference number you have already used. (This is a great tool to use when posting a large volume of freight)
- Commodity: Enter the type of commodity that will be hauled. (70 character max)
- Comments 1 and 2: Used to specify any additional information that the customer feels is necessary regarding the load. (70 character max in each)
- Set audible alarm: Click this option if you would like DAT Power to create a search with an alarm notification that will automatically be visible from your ‘Search Trucks’ tab for viewing once you submit the posting. When this option is selected, the image will turn orange as seen here.
- Post to DAT Extended Network: Click this option if you would like to have your load posted to the extended network where drivers can see those loads through our free MyDAT Trucker Services app available for Android and iPhones. Posting with option costs $2 per posting, per day and currently exposes your loads to over 100,000 drivers that use the app. When this option is selected the image will turn orange and the estimated cost of the posting will be displayed as seen here.
When finished completing the form, click Post.
If any of the required fields are not filled out, or if they are not recognized by DAT, the posting will fail to submit. DAT Power will show you what parts of the form are incorrect so you can quickly resolve the issue and resubmit.
Once the posting has been submitted correctly, it will appear as one of your loads on the “Post Loads” screen.
Tip: Once the origin, destination and equipment type is selected on a posting, DAT Power will display the Broker Spot Rate, Best TriHaul rate and the trip miles for the specified lane. Use this feature to see what the rates are being reported to DAT in the lanes you are operating.